Wednesday, October 09, 2002

Why do I want the Anaheim Angels to beat the Twins?

Well, I wasn't so sure myself when I wrote that yesterday. But then I caught the 9th inning of the game last night (Minnesota won, 2-1) and I realized one really good reason to not support the Twins: Astroturf. I hate astroturf almost as much as I hate the designated hitter.

On the other hand, wouldn't it be beautiful if the Twins made it to the Series and all those crybaby billionaire owners had to eat crow? Remember their cries of "We can't compete against the big market teams"? It was all a lie. This is why it is essential that San Francisco does not make it past the Cards. Two small market teams in the series -- how beautiful, how exciting, how... ironic. Bud Selig, all the arguments you made during the strike negotiations for sharing income just flew out the proverbial window.

Now, I suppose it would be nice if Barry Bonds had an opportunity to sport a ring along with the single-season home run record. But, come on... when it's all said and done, does anyone really care about Barry Bonds (besides San Fran fans)? Is there a bigger crybaby in the game (besides Frank Thomas)? Is baseball going to be any worse off if he never wears a World Series ring? Let him eat cake.

So say it with me one more time: GO ANAHEIM... AND ST. LOUIS... AND MINNESOTA!

No comments: